Otoplasty Can Refine Large or Asymmetrical Ears
Large, protruding, or disproportionate ears can dramatically impact self-confidence in both children and adults. The doctors at Jain Plastic Surgery in Columbus, GA, provide otoplasty, or cosmetic ear surgery, to help patients of all ages suffering from these conditions reclaim their self-confidence. During the procedure, the doctor can reshape, reposition, or change the proportion of one or both ears to help improve your appearance and create a more aesthetic facial structure. Dr. Ashish K. Jain and Dr. Tahira I. Prendergast strive to personalize each procedure to deliver natural-looking results to last a lifetime. Using advanced technology in their state-of-the-art surgical facility, our doctors can make even their youngest patients comfortable.
Are You a Candidate?
Candidates for cosmetic ear surgery include patients who:
- Have overly large ears (macrotia)
- Have ears that protrude on one or both sides
- Have asymmetrical ears
- Are healthy with no life-threatening conditions
- Are non-smokers
- Do not have chronic ear infections
- Have overly large earlobes
- Have suffered blunt force trauma, resulting in "cauliflower ear"
While our doctors can perform otoplasty on children, it is best if the child is cooperative and at least five years of age.
What to Expect during Otoplasty
During your initial consultation, Dr. Jain or Dr. Prendergast can conduct a comprehensive examination to review your health, medical history, and cosmetic goals to create a personalized treatment plan. As board-certified surgeons with extensive experience in a variety of cosmetic surgical procedures, they are able to deliver results and care that could exceed your expectations.
Our team of highly skilled professionals will take the time to answer any questions you may have about the procedure. We also use advanced technology to provide imaging of potential results. We encourage you to read our former patients' testimonials and we can even arrange for you to meet with a patient who has previously undergone otoplasty surgery so you can better understand what to expect.
Otoplasty is typically performed in three stages:
- Anesthesia: After arriving at our facility, you will be taken to a private room where anesthesia will be administered. Otoplasty is generally performed under local anesthesia for adults and general anesthesia for children.
- Incisions: The types of incisions made will depend on whether you are undergoing ear pinning or ear reduction. For an ear pinning procedure, the doctor will make a discreet incision behind the ear to remove any excess skin and cartilage in order to reposition the ears closer to the head. For an ear reduction procedure, incisions are made throughout the various folds of the ear so the doctor can reduce and reshape the size of the ear. Techniques will vary from patient to patient. Oftentimes, ear pinning and ear reduction are combined as one procedure to help patients achieve their goals.
- Sutures and Bandages: Once the procedure is complete, the doctor will close the internal incisions with dissolvable sutures and external incisions with removable sutures. Bandages and compression garments will be applied as necessary to minimize swelling and protect the surgical site. In most cases, the procedure will take approximately one or two hours.
As board-certified surgeons with extensive experience in a variety of cosmetic surgical procedures, they are able to deliver results and care that could exceed your expectations.
Recovery and Results
It is important that you follow your postoperative care instructions carefully so that you or your child can achieve a smooth recovery with desirable results. Resting, taking medications as directed, applying cold compresses, and attending follow-up office visits will ensure your full recovery. In most cases, results are often immediate, but it can take several weeks for swelling, bruising, and discomfort to subside.
Call Today to Learn More
If you are unhappy with the appearance of your ears, our skilled surgeons can perform a customized otoplasty with permanent, lasting, and natural-looking results. Contact our office online or call (706) 322-9313 to schedule your consultation.